Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Finds and Found.

Today, I went out for a whole day with one of my girl friends, and the damage was major. Somehow, I felt that it was money well spent.
Oh well, who am I trying to kid? (What about grad trip, you stupid $#@^$#^%$##@@!#@ bimbotic shopaholic?)

First, I spent S$30 at CottonOn (the 'orrible outlet of CottonOn which is constantly on clearance sale) on 6 basic tanks, all of different colours (blue, black, turquoise, white, grey and rose pink - didn't get the purple since that particular shade of purple made me look ill). So, S$5 each. Pretty awesome.
I figured that it was worth it since I layer my tops so often, and I can wear them a la Carrie from Sex in the City, 1st season (I've got them short fluffy skirts too)

Photobucket
I can't find a better picture, but ya, you get the picture.
Something similar because I don't have her figure or stuff.

Then, I went to Far East Plaza, and all common sense went to hell.
I found corsets. At this fantastic place called De' Corselet. It's their new branch at Far East Plaza (level 2) so they are offering a lifetime membership for people who spend S$160. I'm not sure how long this opening special is going to last.

I'm not one of those girls who can wear 'free size' crap. (seriously, ladies. WHAT IS 'free size'? Does it mean that everyone from UK size 6 to UK size 24 can wear the same piece of clothing? Someone please show me this amazing piece of clothing.) So buying corsets from non-specialized stores is a bitch. Or rather, they just carry stuff labelled 'free size', and I walk out in disgust. 'Free size' is a bad marketing strategy when it comes to me.

I'm (sadly) considered 'plus size' in Singapore because about 80% of girls my age are UK size 12 and below. So it's difficult as hell to find clothes that fit me well. So in my desperation, I turn to websites like Big and Beautiful when buying plus size clothes. Unfortunately, when BAB disappointed me last month, I decided not to buy anything from them after all - that's another story for a bitchy day.

So, why corsets?
Photobucket
Picture from Farthingales Corset Blog.

Photobucket

Corset can be worn on a everyday basis over a tank or another top, like so above.
Or for a night out:

Photobucket

Therefore, they are versatile.

That made me justify buying 2 corsets. Photobucket
(One of the 2 pictures I took which are featured in this entry. I shamelessly pirated the rest from the internet)

One of the corsets I bought looked like this:
Photobucket
(Sorry, no pictures of myself in them because... I don't have an opportunity to wear them yet)

The other one looked like this, only in black:
Photobucket

Corset shopping at De' Corselet wasn't stressful. I was boggled by the array of corsets in different materials, shapes and designs they offered. And they do not have the 'free size' crap that some shops in Singapore insist on selling.
They had corsets in leather, denim, satin and lace. Their sizing run from XS to 5XL (I wear XL-2XL depending on design) so there is hope, my plus size comrades! The corsets there cost from S$45 to about S$60.

After choosing the design, they will gauge your size and bring out the corset for you to try on. Here's the best part: they will help you put it on and adjust the lacings to your satisfaction. Once they tie the lacings, you don't have to adjust them any further (unless you experience a change in size) because the fastenings in the front make it easier for girls to put on corsets on their own! (We're not living in the Confederate era in America where rich girls have their nannies to pull on their lacings daily. I was picturing Scarlett O'Hara in Gone in the Wind clinging for dear life to her bed post while her nanny was tying her laces for her when I was trying on the corsets.)
I practiced putting the corsets on and off. It was pretty manageable.

This was much better than if I had bought a corset from BAB!
And the corsets sold at BAB and De' Corselet was priced the same, only that the ones from De' Corselet is probably easier to put on.


Another find that I found at Far East Plaza today was a shop full of awesome headpieces! This is on level 2.

Photobucket
I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the shop, so to give an idea how the exterior of the shop looked like, I took the picture above.

The shop had many headpieces like the ones below (again, shamelessly pirated from the internet)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They were hairbands with hats attached to them! Some of them were awesome!
The hats-hairbands cost about S$30 each.

The shop also had regular feathered hairbands at S$5 each, 3 for S$10! And clips and pins and lots of amazing stuff for hair.

I didn't buy anything because I was too broke. But I WILL RETURN, SHOP WITH THE UNPRONOUNCEABLE NAME!

No comments:

Post a Comment