Saturday, August 07, 2010

Too Fast Too Furious.

I went to the Volcom Rocks show yesterday evening. (well, okay. I got free passes. So I thought, why not?)
I arrived at Zouk about 10pm and waited around for an hour for the show to start. I thought the show would start around 10.30pm as the free pass said that there would be no more free entry after 10.30pm.

I saw a couple of pieces which I thought I could totally rock. But overall, I thought the outfits were more suited for a temperate country. I guess this is the autumn series for folks in the US?

Photobucket

This outfit is too warm for Singapore. Maybe if I swopped the long skirt+jeans (oh yes, some models were wearing jeans underneath) for a denim skirt, this could work for Singapore, coat and all.

Photobucket

Notice the model on the far left, she was in the last picture I posted up. She's now showing the pair of jeans she wore underneath by tying her skirt up to her waist.

I think the jeans were supposed to be like tights - like how I wear tights underneath my short skirts. I suppose this could be a rather nice twist to wearing skirts - wearing clothes any way you like should be a rule to wear streetwear.

Also, notice FUR COATS/WRAPS around some of the men. I love how they look on the male models, but fur is too warm for Singapore. And my friend commented that one fox wrap looked too real - complete with feet and claws. Is this real fur or not?

Photobucket

This could work for Singapore, all right.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These two are my favourite models of the night, because they posed and paused for the photographers. EYE CONTACT IS THERE TOO! I don't have many good pictures of the clothes because the models seemed to be too much of a hurry to get off the strutway. They did several poses in a split second and left. I got a lot of swirly colours instead of clothes. This is a good reason to buy a Canon S90 but until I get enough money to do so, please, models, strike and hold a pose so my humble HTC Desire can capture the clothes you have on!

That was the "Too Fast" part of the title of this post. Oh, also. The show started slightly after 11pm and ended slightly before 12 midnight. Organizers should start earlier so models can walk a little slower and the audience can see the clothes properly. I think the organizers can only have the place till 12 midnight, so I guess that's the reason behind the rush.

The place was full of NUS undergraduates because I thought I recognised some faces from school. Plus, there were some cheers as certain models appeared on the runway - clearly some models are popular in school. (sorry, I don't recognise them at all, though)

I wished that Volcom could get the models showing off their bags and headpieces with plainer clothes because my eyes were very busy last night trying to focus on all the things that the models had on. I was especially attracted to their headpieces, so I had no time to look at Volcom's fantastic jeans. Jeans are what the company goes by, so the company should pair their jeans with models wearing no headpieces so their fabulous denim collection can shine through better. Less is more.

The "Furious" part came from the makeup that the men were wearing. They were sporting bruises. I don't think they were fighting backstage - it was definitely makeup. Should streetwear = rough and tough boys? I didn't understand the rationale behind the bruise makeup for the guys. The girls had pretty makeup.

Volcom clothes are available in all Flash 'n' Splash outlets in Singapore.
Here's a bit of a peep at their website and the clothes there. I think the stuff sold in America is a lot different. I guess they are still in the midst of their summer collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment